Sunday, November 14, 2010

20 Salads Worse Than a Whopper


I was disheartened to run across an article on the "Eat This, Not That" website today, called "20 Salads Worse Than a Whopper." Believe it or not, salads from Cosi, Chipotle, P.F. Chang's, Quizno's, Einstein's, Applebee's, T.G.I. Friday's, and even California Pizza Kitchen were all on this list.

I must admit that I'm not terribly surprised that places like Quizno's, Chipotle, and Cosi were on this list. If we are totally honest with ourselves, we'll admit that these dining establishments are only a tiny step up from places like McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King.

But I was truly bummed to see that CPK and TGIF had not one, but several, salads that made this Top 20 list. Both of these restaurants - at least in my mind - have positioned themselves as restaurants that offer healthier dining options. I have ordered some of these salads in the past, thinking that I was being good to my body. Learning that I could have enjoyed my lunch a whole lot more by having something a bit more indulgent - and still consume fewer calories - definitely annoys me.

I'm not asking the California Pizza Kitchen to offer the healthiest salads on the planet. But, to offer a salad that is actually less healthy than a Burger King Whopper is a travesty. 

It just goes to show ... you can't always believe what you're told.

No comments:

Post a Comment