Friday, September 17, 2010

Redefine Bad

It's interesting how your definition of "bad" changes as you begin to eat healthier.

On September 1, I made a vow to do the following for one month:

- No fast food
- No carbonated beverages
- No alcohol
- No dairy
- No carbohydrates
- No sugar

As I sit here on the 27th of September, my little plan has worked to a large degree ... although I've certainly had some little cheats along the way. But, overall, I am proud of my performance; that is, until last weekend.

My husband and I went to the University of Wisconsin-Madison Badger football game with our best friends, Jill and Jeff. It was a gorgeous day outside; high 60s and sunny, with just a hint of autumn in the air. The Badgers clobbered Austin Peay 70-3!!!

I ask you, how could I not celebrate on a day like that? So, I celebrated with a few cocktails, a few bites of bread at dinner, a few handfuls of kettle corn, two crackers with cheese on them, a partial bag of chips ... well, you get my drift. I fell off the wagon ... and hard.

On my way back home, I started to think about how "bad" I had been ... when it hit me. I was beginning to change my definition of bad. Just one month ago, I wouldn't have given a second thought to what I had eaten on Saturday or any other day for that matter. But now that I'm 7 pounds lighter and have shaved several inches off my measurements, I find myself redefining what is good and is bad for me.

And isn't that what it's all about - changing your attitude about food? As Patti LaBelle sings:

I'm feelin' good from my head to my shoes
Know where I'm goin' and I know what to do
I tidied up my point of view
I got a new attitude

No comments:

Post a Comment