Sunday, August 29, 2010

I think I can, I think I can

One of my favorite stories from my childhood days was, "The Little Engine That Could." It's a wonderful story that has entertained children since its inception in 1930. Looking back on some of the words from that story, it's easy to understand why millions of children have so loved this book. It's a book about determination and pride and hope and believing that you can do whatever you put your mind to. Here's an excerpt:

The toys all started crying cause that engine was so mean.
And then there came another one, the smallest ever seen.
And though it seemed that she could hardly pull herself along,
she hitched on to the front, and as she pulled she sang this song,
I think I can, I think I can, I think I have a plan,
and I can do most anything if I only think I can.
Then up that great big mountain with the cars all full of toys,
and soon they reached the waiting arms of little girls and boys.
And though that ends the story, it will do you lots of good
to take a lesson from the little engine that could.
Just think you can, just think you can and have that understood,
and very soon you'll start to say I always knew I could.
I knew I could, I knew I could, I knew I could, I knew I could.


We all want to achieve what we dreamed when we were little children, don't we? But, life has a habit of wearing us down over the years and soon we find ourselves letting some of our dreams slip away.

So, re-read the words to this beloved tale and find that sense of childhood wonder in your life again. Keep telling yourself, I think I can, I think I can, and before you know it, you'll know you can.

I think I can, I think I can.
I know I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment